Today many in the Hill Country have experienced severe flooding. With more rain forecasted throughout the week, we encourage everyone to be prepare and plan ahead for severe weather and emergency situations. You can:
- Build an Emergency Kit that includes water, non-perishable foods, first aid kit, medications, flashlights, batteries, hygiene products, cash and necessary supplies to care for infants, those with special needs, and pets.
- Text GETEMERGENCY to 90999 and download the free Red Cross Emergency App that provides real-time severe weather and disaster updates. The app features a tool for users to create an emergency plan for their household.
You can support those in need by visiting www.redcross.org and registering to volunteer or providing a donation to Disaster Relief. Every bit helps when assisting those affected by a disaster.
If you are in need of Red Cross services, please call 1-800-Red-Cross. A list of currently open shelters is also available at https://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery-services/find-an-open-shelter.html.
What do you need in a survival kit?
At minimum, you should have the basic supplies listed below:
- Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3 day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home).
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA weather radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical info, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone chargers
- Family and emergency contact info
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Maps of area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit:
- Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc.)
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Games and activities for children
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
- Two-way radios
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Manual can opener